Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Social Setworking Age Restrictions

(C) 2009 Mike
38% of teens age twelve to fourteen said they had some kind of online profile, including me. With my parents permission, I created a Myspace account when I was almost 13. It was a great way to connect with friends in the towns that I previously lived in, but many people wonder if my age was too young. Kaveri Subrahmanyam, a professor of psychology at California State University- Los Angeles says,"For the most part, although there's so much press about all the bad things they're doing, much of what they do on these sites is stuff they would be doing anyway." Which I believe is true. Kids who don't have a myspace or facebook text each other more often than most people would message eachother on those sites. They can still find way to talk and send pictures. I don't think there's anything wrong with having an online account.I don't talk to anyone online that I don't talk to in the 'real world,' so it's harmless. My Myspace is private, so unless you know me and I approve you, you can't see any of my personal information. We're a technology-driven generation, you can't stop people from getting online. I think it's perfectly fine for teens to have online account, until they misuse them.

1 comment:

  1. Dear My Best Friend Addisyn,
    I love your background! It's so cute! :)
    <3 Rebecca Parsons

    ReplyDelete